You can find this document in PDF format here.
Protohaven is a nonprofit design and fabrication school built to serve the public good. Our mission is to engage people in the process of making things to enrich individual lives, build thriving communities, and contribute to a vibrant, sustainable society. Our approach mixes new technology with traditional techniques to help students and members from all walks of life create amazing projects – from innovative technology to business-building products to inspiring works of art.
Why We Need You
We’ve done a lot in the three years since our founding in 2017. We’ve partnered with a wide array of other nonprofits, supported dozens of small businesses, and taught hundreds of classes in design and fabrication. When the COVID-19 pandemic began this spring, we shifted our operations to produce Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for vulnerable populations and essential workers. As we reopen, we want to use our expertise in design and fabrication to help meaningfully address racial inequality, gender inequality, and other long-standing social, economic, and environmental issues in the region.
But wanting to do good is only the first step to making it happen. It takes a lot to create a space that is inviting and functional for everyone. When new people come to the space, we need to show them how they can be a part of it. We need to get to know existing members better so we can effectively support their goals. We need to make plans and execute on them so we are a beneficial part of the larger Pittsburgh nonprofit ecosystem.
As Protohaven’s Operations Coordinator, you will rally members, volunteers, and other stakeholders to accomplish common goals.
- Member experience: Serve as the primary point of contact for current and potential members. Conduct tours and reply to inquiries received by email, phone, and social media. Maintain membership data.
- Volunteer management: Plan and host episodic volunteer work days and work with the Executive Director to develop a corps of welcoming, helpful, informed, and happy recurring Technical Volunteers to help run the shop.
- Tool management & in-house projects: Co-lead and track equipment and facilities maintenance across the shop in collaboration with the Education Manager.
- Event planning: Plan and host onsite and offsite events.
- Significant project management experience. Experience with projects that involve making physical things and/or working with volunteers strongly preferred.
- Experience in design, fabrication, or another creative field
- Knowledge of web-based content management systems, customer relationship management systems, and project management systems
- Skills in technical troubleshooting
- Experience leading diverse groups of creative people to accomplish common goals
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed organizational techniques
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Skills in both empathy and persuasion
- Ability to execute given limited time and information
- Enthusiasm for design, fabrication, and Protohaven’s mission
Details and Benefits
- Protohaven is an equal opportunity employer, and seeks to create a community diverse in race, gender, age, identity, and ability
- Employees may work with children and PA Child Abuse History, PA criminal background, and FBI criminal background clearances are required
- This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position
- Some evening and weekend hours are required for classes and events
- Starting annual salary for this position is $45,000 and benefits include 4 weeks paid time off, health insurance, and a retirement savings plan
How to Apply
Please compile a cover letter, resume, and details about a project you’ve successfully planned and executed and submit them through the form at https://www.protohaven.org/apply/oc.
Cover letters should address why you are interested in the organization and position and point to the aspects of your background that indicate you would be a good fit. A sufficiently detailed LinkedIn profile may be used in place of a traditional resume. When choosing a project to share, know that we are looking for candidates who can not only work on their own, but effectively lead others.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The earlier we receive your application, the better consideration we can provide it.
All applicants will receive confirmation that their application has been received and notification when the position has been filled. Exceptional applicants will be invited to interview in person or by video call.