Protohaven’s Shop Tech program is a one-year co-development program where participants build their design, fabrication, interpersonal, and shop management skills while helping shape and support our community. It is ideal for individuals who are enthusiastic about design, fabrication, and helping to lead a clean, welcoming, and functional community shop.
We are currently seeking (5) additional individuals to join our daytime team for the next 6 months (ending August 31, 2022) complimenting our existing night and weekend team.
Protohaven is a nonprofit design and fabrication school built to serve the public good. Our mission is to engage people in the process of making things to enrich individual lives, build thriving communities, and contribute to a vibrant, sustainable society. Our approach mixes new technology with traditional techniques to help students and members from all walks of life create amazing projects – from innovative technology to business-building products to inspiring works of art.
- Weekly Shop Shifts: Serve a regularly-scheduled weekly (9:50am – 4:10pm on a single weekday) to ensure the shop is a safe, clean, and welcoming place to work. Enforce Community Guidelines and Shop Rules, and perform shop tasks like cleaning, organizing, performing regular maintenance, and supporting members.
- Monthly Tech Call: 1 hour, regularly scheduled for group check-ins
- Ongoing Community Engagement: Actively engage with the #techs and #maintenance channels on our community Discord server throughout the week to keep up with ongoing shop operations and community updates.
- Responsible, empathetic, conscientious, and friendly
- Experience collaborating with diverse groups of creative people to accomplish common goals
- Ability to represent and communicate our Shop Rules and Community Guidelines with accuracy and clarity
- Enthusiasm for workspaces that are safe, clean, organized, and functional
- Skills in technical troubleshooting, problem solving, and critical thinking
- Ability to use and/or learn email, Google Apps, and Discord
Details and Benefits
- 6 month General Membership
- Eligible to apply for the full 1 year Shop Tech Program in summer of 2022.
- Free access to equipment training and classes in Protohaven’s woodshop and laser fabrication areas
- Dedicated maintenance trainings
- Participants qualify as volunteers, and benefits are non-taxable (educational benefits and no-additional cost services)
- Participants may work with children and PA Child Abuse History, PA criminal background, and FBI criminal background clearances may be required
- Protohaven is committed to serving the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities, and members of these communities are enthusiastically encouraged to apply.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Protohaven seeks to create an inclusive and equitable organization at all levels. To that end, Protohaven is committed to recruiting candidates that represent our diverse community in race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and ability. With inclusion as one of our core values, we strive to create an environment where all feel welcomed and are treated with dignity and respect.
The person in this role needs to regularly sit, stand, and move throughout the space, utilize manual dexterity and repetitive finger motion, speak, hear and see with close vision. Individuals must be able to lift up to fifty pounds, push or pull, reach or stretch, and utilize distance vision, color discrimination, peripheral vision, depth perception and focusing ability.
This position is primarily performed at Protohaven, in both administrative and workshop areas, with occasional exposure to outdoor weather conditions.
How to Apply
We are looking for (5) Shop Techs to fill these roles quickly. Applications will be rolling and accepted until all openings are filled. Each Shop Tech will be required to attend a scheduled orientation.
Please compile a resume, reasons why you’d like to work with us, and details about a project you’ve successfully planned and executed and submit them through the form at https://www.protohaven.org/shoptech.