Learn your way around the wood shop through the design and build of a custom art frame in this intensive, four-session course with local artist, Sarah Nielsen—no previous experience required!
Over the course of four weeks, Sarah shows the critical tools of the wood shop in great detail. Learn how to operate each tool, including our basic wood shop equipment (like the table saw, bandsaw, disc sanders, and more) and our advanced millwork and joinery equipment (like the jointer, planer, and drum sander), with confidence.
You’ll discover how to take rough lumber and turn it into a beautiful, mitered art frame with strong, lasting joints worthy of showcasing your favorite piece of art.
Begin by defining the general dimensions of your frame, then cut and mill the pieces using our Millwork and Basic Woodshop equipment. Add grooves to hold the glass and mounting hardware. Discover how to use and build dedicated jigs to make fine, repeatable, miter joints and the splines that add lasting strength and stability to your frame. Wrap it all up with techniques to achieve a perfect finish.
Through this class, you’ll earn clearance for both Basic Woodshop and Joinery and Millwork equipment and the confidence to do it all solo.
Members: $280 (you must be signed into your account to view the discount, learn more here)
This is an intensive, four-session course for small groups (up to 4 students max) that occurs Wednesday evenings from 6-9pm beginning March 10th.
- Wednesday, 3/10, 6-9pm
- Wednesday, 3/17, 6-9pm
- Wednesday, 3/24, 6-9pm
- Wednesday, 3/31, 6-9pm
You’ll walk away with:
- Clearance to use our Basic Woodshop Equipment independently
- Clearance to use our Millwork and Joinery Equipment independently
- A custom, mitered art frame with spline details
- Insight into the milling process and building jigs for the table saw
- Practice cutting grooves at the table saw
- Techniques for strong, high quality miter joints
- Tips and tricks to achieve a perfect finish
- 1 month General Membership
- 1 month of Locker Storage
- (4) 3 hour sessions of hands-on instruction
- Basic Woodshop Clearance
- Joinery & Millwork Clearance
- Raw, rough lumber to practice your new joinery skills
- All the materials to make a fine, 20″ x 24″ art frame in Cherry
(large enough to feature your favorite 16″ x 20″ or 11″ x 14″ piece of art)
About the Instructor
Sarah Nielsen is a Pittsburgh-based artist. She makes warm, eclectic, works in wood from her shop in Lawrenceville.