Part-Time (20 hours/week)
Protohaven is a nonprofit design and fabrication school built to serve the public good. Our mission is to engage people in the process of making things to enrich individual lives, build thriving communities, and contribute to a vibrant, sustainable society. Our approach mixes new technology with traditional techniques to help students and members from all walks of life create amazing projects – from innovative technology to business-building products to inspiring works of art.
About this Position
As the Membership Coordinator, you will work directly alongside the Executive Director to ensure that we are meeting the current and future needs of our members while identifying opportunities to retain and increase membership. In this role you will be responsible for assisting with day-to-day activities related to membership and operations such as responding to inquiries and problem solving any issues that may arise. You will also help with the planning and facilitation of member events, and attend external meetings and events as needed. As the Membership Coordinator, you will also track member data and clearances, assisting with scheduling, and examining membership metrics and survey results to help us identify areas of strength and areas for improvement. You are the main point of contact for current and prospective members and are responsible for meeting recruitment, retention, and engagement goals.
Additionally, in this role you will assist the Executive Director in facilitating the Shop Tech program in regard to recruiting new participants, identifying shop projects and maintenance tasks based on member feedback.
PLEASE READ: The person in this position absolutely must be nothing less than genuinely enthusiastic in regard to outreach and engagement with underrepresented communities. Anyone who has apprehensions or fear surrounding, specifically, BIPOC individuals and communities, LGBTQIA+ individuals and communities, and returning citizens (those who are re-entering society after incarceration) should not apply.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Member Experience & Engagement:
- Responsible for member recruitment, retention, and engagement, working with the Executive Director to determine goals for recruitment, retention, and engagement.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for current and potential members.
- Oversees tour scheduling, providing tours as necessary.
- Responds to inquiries received by email, and phone, within 24 business hours.
- Maintains membership data, including clearances, recruitment, retention, and other user data.
- Works with Communications Coordinator to draft communications with members at least once per month regarding upcoming events, important dates and opportunities, and other relevant information.
- Tracks and assists with member storage, ensuring rented storage is paid for, up to date, and items are stored properly.
- Assists Executive Director with the planning and hosting of onsite and offsite events with an overarching goal of member retention, engagement, and recruitment.
- Collects feedback and works with the Executive Director and Education Coordinator to create and execute plans to improve student and member satisfaction.
- Moderates Discord.
- Works with Executive Director to plan and facilitate member events such as quarterly meeting and volunteer days
- Ensures that new member orientation is successfully completed by all new members
- Ensures Protohaven is open as scheduled.
- Shop Tech Program:
- Assists the Executive Director in recruiting Shop Techs to help run and maintain the space.
- Maintains Shop Tech schedule to ensure Protohaven is open according to schedule.
- Assist Shop Techs with identifying and tracking completion of maintenance tasks based on member feedback.
- Responsibilities of ALL Protohaven Staff:
- Assists in maintaining a clean & tidy shop appearance.
- Assists with website and CRM updates, as well as maintenance of other apps pertinent to Protohaven operations.
- Attends community and other events as scheduled to represent and promote Protohaven.
- Attends Board and other meetings as required.
- Recommends relevant processes, policies, and procedures as necessary.
- Stays abreast of trends in making and makerspaces across the country and uses this knowledge to develop plans to engage current and prospective members as well as external individuals and organizations.
- Works closely with Protohaven Board, Executive Director and the community to advance. Protohaven’s commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Successful track record of sales or recruitment experience
- Experience handling and resolving customer/client issues in a professional and timely manner
- Significant experience with web-based content management systems, customer relationship management systems, and social media platforms such as Asana, Discord, Zapier, AirTable, and HootSuite
- Experience with equipment maintenance a plus, but not required
- Experience in a makerspace, manufacturing, or similar environment a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, and customer service skills
- Experience and enthusiasm engaging diverse groups of creative people to accomplish common goals
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize, create timelines, and meet deadlines.
- Project management skills
- Experience with event planning and hosting
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Skills in both empathy and persuasion
- Ability to execute given limited time and information
- Enthusiasm for design, fabrication, and Protohaven’s mission
- Other Requirements
- Reliable transportation that can assist with getting to and from external events/meetings (may need to also transport some equipment)
- Ability to pass PA child abuse, state police, and federal background checks
- Details and Benefits
- Protohaven is an equal opportunity employer, and seeks to create a community diverse in race, gender, age, identity, and ability
- Employees may work with children and PA Child Abuse History, PA criminal background, and FBI criminal background clearances are required
- This is an in-office, 20- hour per week, part-time, non-exempt position
- Typical schedule is 12pm-5pm, Tuesday through Friday. Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Rate of pay is $25/hour
- Protohaven general membership and storage allowance of $50/month (depending on availability)
- Two free classes per month (depending on availability and class registrations)
Please note that this is a 100% on-site position and does not offer the possibility of remote work.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Deadline to apply is 11:59PM EST on 02/10/2023.