Individual Director Role and Responsibilities
Serve as a Member of the Protohaven Board of Directors for a 3-year term fulfilling all expected responsibilities. Board members are charged with guiding the strategic planning process and in providing direction to achieve goals, supporting the Executive Director and other staff in these initiatives.
Protohaven engages a diverse community of makers by providing the space, tools, and education necessary to enable our community of learners at various stages of creative aspiration.
Our mission is to engage people in the process of making things to enrich individual lives, build thriving communities, and contribute to a vibrant, sustainable society.
- Attend all four quarterly board meetings and committee meetings and functions, such as special events as necessary and available.
- Be a champion of Protohaven’s mission, vision, and values.
- Become informed about Protohaven’s services, policies, and programs.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Serve on committees or task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Make a personal financial contribution to the organization, 100% Board participation in donation
- Inform others in the community about Protohaven and be an advocate for the organization.
- Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and the organization.
- Keep up-to-date on developments relevant to the organization’s mission.
- Follow conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies outlined in the Bylaws.
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities, such as reviewing the organization’s financial statements.
- Ability to listen, analyze, think clearly and creatively, and work well with people individually and in a group.
- Looking specifically for candidates with the following skill sets: human resources, nonprofit administration, entrepreneurial training, legal guidance, financial management, and/or facility/equipment operations.
- Willingness to prepare for and attend board and committee meetings, ask questions, take responsibility and follow through on a given assignment.
- Contribute personal resources in a generous way according to circumstances, open doors in the community, advocate for the organization, and evaluate oneself.
- Interest in developing certain skills that you may not possess, such as cultivating and soliciting funds, cultivating and recruiting board members and other volunteers, reading and understanding financial statements, and learning more about the substantive program area of the organization.
- Possession of honesty, sensitivity to and tolerance of differing views, community-building skills, personal integrity and sense of values, and concern for Protohaven’s development.
- A passion or interest in creative fields or making is desired but not required.
- The opportunity to work closely with a group of amazing Board members, staff, and Protohaven members to ensure that we continue to have one of the best makerspaces in the area!
- Free Weekend Membership or half off the cost of a monthly General Membership.
How to Apply
For those who are interested in applying, the online application can be found HERE. Please email Dr. Amber Epps, Executive Director, at email@example.com with any questions.