Protohaven is a design and fabrication community built to serve the public good. We believe that engaging people in the process of making things serves to both develop the individual and create a more productive, responsible society. Our approach mixes new technology with traditional techniques to help students and members from all walks of life create amazing projects – from innovative technology to business-building products to inspiring works of art.
Why We Need You
We’ve spent the last two years building a top-quality makerspace for the greater Pittsburgh region. Our campus is 12,500 sf of continually-evolving studio and workshop space in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. Our tools include laser cutters, 3D printers, electronics and jewelry benches, and full textile, wood, and metal shops.
But we still need to grow our community and make every role within it – from instructor to student to volunteer – a rewarding one. We need to be good neighbors and get more residents of Wilkinsburg and the surrounding neighborhoods into the space. We need to partner with other nonprofits to make our collective impact bigger.
As Protohaven’s Community Coordinator, you will make this a place that is known, sought out, and loved.
- Member experience: Serve as the primary point of contact for current and potential members and students. Conduct tours and reply to inquiries received by email, phone, and social media. Maintain membership, safety clearance, and other user data. Collect feedback and work with the Executive Director to create and execute plans to improve student and member satisfaction.
- Outreach and partnerships: Find and create opportunities to work with existing entrepreneurial, educational, artistic, and civic organizations, particularly those in Wilkinsburg and surrounding communities.
- Volunteer management: Plan and host episodic volunteer work days and work with the Executive Director to develop a corps of welcoming, helpful, informed, and happy recurring Volunteer Hosts and Area Lead Volunteers to help run the shop.
- Event planning: Plan, promote, and host onsite and offsite events.
- Marketing content: Create engaging email newsletters, social media posts, pamphlets and other communications materials.
- Experience with event promotion, planning, and hosting
- Photography and graphic design skills
- Knowledge of web-based content management systems, customer relationship management systems, and social media platforms
- Experience leading diverse groups of creative people to accomplish common goals
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed organizational techniques
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Skills in both empathy and persuasion
- Ability to execute given limited time and information
- Enthusiasm for design, fabrication, and Protohaven’s mission
Details and Benefits
- Protohaven is an equal opportunity employer, and seeks to create a community diverse in race, gender, age, identity, and ability
- Employees may work with children and PA Child Abuse History, PA criminal background, and FBI criminal background clearances are required
- This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position
- Some evening and weekend hours are required for classes and events
- Starting annual salary for this position is $40,000 and benefits include 4 weeks paid time off, health insurance, and a retirement savings plan
How to Apply
Please compile a cover letter, resume, and promotional materials for a project you’ve worked on or an event you’ve hosted and submit them through the form at protohaven.org/apply/cc.
Cover letters should address why you are interested in the organization and position and point to the aspects of your background that indicate you would be a good fit. A sufficiently detailed LinkedIn profile may be used in place of a traditional resume. Promotional materials may be anything digital or physical that shared something you worked on and, preferably, let people know how they could get involved.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For fullest consideration, please apply by 12/8/2019.
All applicants will receive confirmation that their application has been received and notification when the position has been filled. Exceptional applicants will be invited to interview in person or by video call sometime after 12/8/2019.