Protohaven seeks an Education Manager to set the stage for sharing the skills of design and fabrication. We are looking for someone who is creative, and can think outside the box, being able to see both the big picture and the smaller details. Application Deadline: Thursday, February 10, 2022, 12:00 p.m. EST.
Protohaven is a nonprofit design and fabrication school built to serve the public good. Our mission is to engage people in the process of making things to enrich individual lives, build thriving communities, and contribute to a vibrant, sustainable society. Our approach mixes new technology with traditional techniques to help students and members from all walks of life create amazing projects – from innovative technology to business-building products to inspiring works of art.
Why We Need You
Classes are the entry point to our community. They focus on teaching design, fabrication, and related skills. They dive into everything from immersive projects that teach students how to operate equipment with confidence to advanced maintenance and troubleshooting intensives that earn members clearance to join our maintenance crew. They range from introductory public talks and workshops to in-depth multi-week courses.
But it takes a lot to keep everything and everybody in the space safe, productive, and creative. We need to shape a rich, supportive learning environment for students of all skill levels and create uniform equipment clearances. Instructors, volunteers, students, and members need access to the materials and information for their projects when they need them. We need to make plans and execute on them so we are a beneficial part of the larger Pittsburgh nonprofit ecosystem.
- Student experience: Serve as the primary point of contact for current and potential students. Maintain clearance and student data.
- Class curriculum: Oversee Teaching Fellows in their development of rich class-content that is responsive to community needs, work with leadership to shape our basic pedagogical approach, and work with instructors to generate uniform clearance content.
- Instructor management: Host episodic training to develop a cohort of welcoming, informed, high quality, and happy recurring instructors who help run class offerings. Coordinate with instructors and Shop Techs to ensure all equipment and supplies are ready before each class.
- Marketing: Support the distribution and communication of marketing initiatives as led by the Director of Community Engagement.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director that are aligned with the mission of the organization. We are a growing organization and the person in this position should demonstrate the ability to adapt and be flexible, in order to meet the needs of Protohaven.
- Deep design and fabrication experience in at least one discipline offered at Protohaven and basic familiarity with several, AND/OR experience designing curricula for trades or craft.
- Experience with both digital and traditional design and fabrication techniques is highly preferred.
- Experience successfully teaching skills to others
- Experience using Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, or similar software
- Knowledge of web-based content management systems
- Skills in technical troubleshooting
- Understanding and demonstration of the importance of keeping diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at the forefront of programming and decision-making
- Commuting and event attendance will be required, and candidates are expected to have access to consistent personal transportation. Drivers license and personal vehicle are preferred.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours as required
- Experience leading diverse groups of creative people to accomplish common goals
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed organizational techniques
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Skills in both empathy and persuasion
- Ability to execute given limited time and information
- Enthusiasm for design, fabrication, and Protohaven’s mission
Details and Benefits
- Protohaven is an equal opportunity employer, and seeks to create a community diverse in race, gender, age, identity, and ability
- Protohaven will consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws. Due to the nature of this position, employees may work with children; therefore, PA Child Abuse History, PA criminal background, and FBI criminal background clearances are required.
- This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position
- Some evening and weekend hours are required for classes and events
- Starting annual salary for this position is $50,000 and benefits include paid time off, health insurance, and a retirement savings plan
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Protohaven seeks to create an inclusive and equitable organization at all levels. To that end, Protohaven is committed to recruiting candidates for employment that represent our diverse community in race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and ability. With inclusion as one of our core values, we strive to create an environment where all feel welcomed and are treated with dignity and respect.
The person in this position needs to regularly sit, stand, and move throughout the space, utilize manual dexterity and repetitive finger motion, speak, hear and see with close vision. Individuals must be able to lift up to fifty pounds, push or pull, reach or stretch, and utilize distance vision, color discrimination, peripheral vision, depth perception and focusing ability.
This position is primarily performed at Protohaven, in both administrative and workshop areas, with occasional exposure to outdoor weather conditions.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter, resume, and details about a project you’ve successfully planned and executed and submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Cover letters should address why you are interested in the organization and position and point to the aspects of your background that indicate you would be a good fit. When choosing a project to share, know that we are looking for candidates who can not only work on their own, but effectively lead others.
Applications are due by Thursday, February 10, 2022 and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Exceptional applicants will be invited to interview in person or by video call.
Note: This job description is not all inclusive and it is not intended to create nor be construed as an express or implied contract of employment. Protohaven reserves the right to interpret, amend, or terminate any job description, plan, policy, program, procedure, practice, or benefit at any time at its sole discretion.