Protohaven is a design and fabrication community built to serve the public good. We believe that engaging people in the process of making things serves to both develop the individual and create a more productive, responsible society. Our approach mixes new technology with traditional techniques to help students and members from all walks of life create amazing projects – from innovative technology to business-building products to inspiring works of art.
Why We Need You
We’ve spent the last two years building a top-quality makerspace for the greater Pittsburgh region. Our campus is 12,500 sf of continually-evolving studio and workshop space in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. Our tools include laser cutters, 3D printers, electronics and jewelry benches, and full textile, wood, and metal shops.
But it takes a lot to keep everything and everybody in the space safe, productive, and creative. We need to create uniform equipment clearances and maintenance schedules. Instructors, volunteers, students, and members need access to the materials and information for their projects when they need them.
As Protohaven’s Technical Coordinator, you will set the stage for sharing the skills of design and fabrication.
- Skill Sharing: Lead safety clearances, project classes, and other skill-development workshops. Coordinate instructors and Volunteer Area Leads to lead additional clearances, classes, and workshops.
- Clearance Curriculum: Work with the Executive Director to create a uniform format for clearance classes across the shop, and work with Area Lead Volunteers to generate clearance content.
- Maintenance: Lead and track equipment and facilities maintenance across the shop.
- Tool and Material Management: Lead inventorying and tracking of tool and material usage across the shop.
- In-House Projects: Lead design and fabrication projects for Protohaven, its partners, and its clients.
- Deep design and fabrication experience in at least one discipline and basic familiarity with several. Experience with both digital and traditional design and fabrication techniques highly preferred.
- Experience successfully teaching skills to others
- Repair, maintenance, and mechanical trouble-shooting skills
- Experience leading diverse groups of creative people to accomplish common goals
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed organizational techniques
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Skills in both empathy and persuasion
- Ability to execute given limited time and information
- Enthusiasm for design, fabrication, and Protohaven’s mission
Details and Benefits
- Protohaven is an equal opportunity employer, and seeks to create a community diverse in race, gender, age, identity, and ability
- Employees may work with children and PA Child Abuse History, PA criminal background, and FBI criminal background clearances are required
- This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position
- Some evening and weekend hours are required for classes and events
- Starting annual salary for this position is $45,000 and benefits include 4 weeks paid time off, health insurance, and a retirement savings plan
How to Apply
Please compile a cover letter, resume, and pictures or other materials about a project you’ve made or taught others to make and submit them through the form at protohaven.org/apply/tc.
Cover letters should address why you are interested in the organization and position and point to the aspects of your background that indicate you would be a good fit. A sufficiently detailed LinkedIn profile may be used in place of a traditional resume. When choosing a project to share, know that we value the demonstration of skill but value the successful transfer of skill even more.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For fullest consideration, please apply by 12/8/2019.
All applicants will receive confirmation that their application has been received and notification when the position has been filled. Exceptional applicants will be invited to interview in person or by video call sometime after 12/8/2019.