Protohaven is a nonprofit design and fabrication school built to serve the public good. Our mission is to engage people in the process of making things to enrich individual lives, build thriving communities, and contribute to a vibrant, sustainable society. Our approach mixes new technology with traditional techniques to help students and members from all walks of life create amazing projects – from innovative technology to business-building products to inspiring works of art.
About this Position
As the Youth Program Coordinator you will work with the Executive Director to ensure the successful implementation of Protohaven’s year-round youth program, 77. During this program you will serve as a guide and mentor to two cohorts of 6 youth (each cohort runs for 6 months) who will receive equipment and entrepreneurship training. They will also come up with ideas for products that they will design, create, and then sell at events. The ability to effectively problem solve, communicate with, motivate, and uplift youth is key. In this position you will receive training on Protohaven’s equipment, but a prior knowledge of or experience with at least one area of equipment (list can be found here) would be beneficial. Additionally, experience with entrepreneurship would also be an asset.
This is a year-long part-time position that starts in mid-July and runs until June of 2024. The position may continue after that time depending on grant funding. This position reports to the Executive Director and may work with the Education Coordinator. This is an in-office position with the hours of 4pm-9pm Mon-Thurs, with occasional weekend hours when there is an event.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Works with Executive Director to facilitate Protohaven’s year-round youth program
- Ensures that youth receive the required training
- Works with Education Coordinator, as necessary, to schedule trainings
- Keeps accurate records of youth training, projects, sales, and other program metrics
- Guides youth during the discovery process and assists them with determining what products to make and the best approaches to production
- Communicates with food vendor(s) to ensure delivery of snacks and meals for youth
- Provides youth with bus passes, as necessary
- Seeks out and secures vendor booths at appropriate events for youth to sell their products
- Identifies materials needed for classes and production and works with Executive Director to purchase the materials
- Attends events with youth to assist with setup, sales, and breakdown
- Creates an inclusive and engaging environment where youth feel safe and supported
- Acts as a mentor in regard to equipment usage, the maker journey, and the road to entrepreneurship
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working with youth in a similar capacity (preferred, but not required)
- Passion for entrepreneurship and helping youth succeed
- Knowledge of web-based content management systems, customer relationship management systems, and social media platforms
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, customer service, and organization skills
- Experience in a makerspace, manufacturing, or similar environment a plus, but not required
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize, create timelines, and meet deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Cultural competence
- Ability to execute given limited time and information
- Enthusiasm for design, fabrication, and Protohaven’s mission
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience and enthusiasm engaging diverse groups
- Valid PA driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- PA child abuse, state police, and federal background clearances (Protohaven can assist with getting these, if necessary)
Details and Benefits
- Protohaven is an equal opportunity employer, and seeks to create a community diverse in race, gender, age, identity, and ability
- This is a 20-hour/week, part-time, non-exempt, grant-funded position
- Additional hours as needed and upon approval
- Hours are Mon-Thurs from 4pm-9pm with occasional weekend hours (will be given plenty of notice)
- Rate of pay is $25/hour
- Protohaven general membership
- Two free classes per month
Please submit a resume and a brief introduction (no more than one paragraph) telling us why you are a good fit and why you want to work with us to firstname.lastname@example.org.